Monday, May 31, 2010

Peonies in bloom for Memorial Day!



When I was a young girl I remember that my grandmother, mother and aunts were always anxious if it looked as if the peonies would not bloom in time for the Memorial Day bouquets that they would need for the family gravesites. They would be so happy with this year's showing of blooms in our garden. So in honor of them here are pictures of our peonies.

We have twelve peony plants in this row along the fence. I believe there are only two duplicates. Peony blooming time is my absolute favorite event in the garden.


The scents of these varieties are varied. Some remind me of the old standards from Grandma's house, some are very spicy, and others are so delicate you have to concentrate to smell them!



Sunny side up!



Just this bit, because it is a day to honor those who serve and have served our country. A young man I know upon returning from his deployment to Iraq was heard to say that every smart soldier prays for peace. So it seems to me that the best way to honor any soldier is to wish for, work for, vote for, and stand for world peace. Do your part for peace.



Peace . . . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment